Introducing the Greater Together Creative Challenge
Greater Together loves a challenge. We set a goal of making Milwaukee’s creative economy into a truly diverse, equitable, and inclusive industry, and so challenged industry leaders to create 1600 new jobs for diverse and minority talent by 2030 — to achieve Greater Equity across our vibrant city. There is no time to wait to make progress towards that goal, even as a pandemic profoundly affects our community. We see that this is a moment to jumpstart, not postpone, the connections between Milwaukee’s youth and its professional creative community. This is the moment for a new Creative Challenge. Whether you’re an emerging creative, or a professional creative, we hope you’ll answer our call and rise to the challenge!
The call for entries is now closed. Applicants for Creative Advisors and Emerging Creatives will hear back from Greater Together by June 22nd.
We look forward to working alongside Milwaukee’s emerging and professional creatives to tell critical stories that capture life in Milwaukee in 2020.
The Greater Together Creative Challenge intends to develop the voices of emerging creatives through production of personal narrative short films alongside community-centered mentorship. We are recruiting professional creatives to serve as Creative Advisors to talented young adult Storytellers as they create short films to capture their personal stories from a city affected by the COVID-19 pandemic and the Safer at Home order of 2020.
A Call for Emerging Creatives 16+ (with permission of parent or guardian)
Are you an emerging creative, age 16+? A filmmaker, a storyteller, a designer, a musician, an artist — with a story to tell about life during the COVID-19 pandemic? Do you aspire to be a professional creative who makes a living doing what you love? Are you ready to put your creativity to work?
Do you believe we are greater together, even while apart? Pitch us a story—your story—of your life and lessons you’ve learned during this extraordinary time in 2020.
Tell us about yourself, your creative passions, and your community. Tell us why you deserve to be one of the 25 emerging talents In Milwaukee we should select to be our first Emerging Creatives. If you and your pitch are chosen, we will match you with an established creative professional who will act as your Creative Advisor and mentor in the industry. Over the course of 8 weeks, with the guidance of your Creative Advisor, and with the insight of some of Milwaukee’s most extraordinary Creative Experts, you will produce an original video telling a story of your experience through the COVID-19 pandemic of 2020.
If you are selected as an Emerging Creative, you will:
- Learn skills to develop your own artistic idea, from concept to completion, while receiving feedback from professionals with a variety of skills
- Apply academic concepts to real-world experience, enhance your resumes and solidify career aspirations
- Be invited on a Career Tour of a participating agency partner with other Emerging Creatives when appropriate and safe
- Receive a letter of recommendation or and potentially develop an ongoing mentor relationship with your Creative Advisor
- Be considered for internships though Greater Equity when available
- Have the chance to see their work on the big screen and to join a cohort of peers and mentors throughout the summer
A Call for Creative Advisors
Are you a professional filmmaker, graphic designer, creative director, journalist, or performing artist? We are recruiting professional creatives from across Milwaukee’s creative industries to serve as Creative Advisors to talented young adult “Emerging Creatives” as they make short films to capture their personal stories from our city as it is affected by the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Greater Together Creative Challenge develops students’ voices and creative talents through the production of personal narrative short films alongside community-centered mentorship.
As a creative professional in Milwaukee, your expertise and experience are invaluable to emerging creators interested in learning the creative process and with stories to tell around the COVID-19 pandemic in their own life, family, and community. This Creative Challenge focuses on transferrable skills in the creative process as the Emerging Creatives produce a short video to tell their personal story. However, it isn’t necessary to have hard skills in film or production in order to share lessons from your passions and professional experience to a motivated Emerging Creative. We will be assigning you an Emerging Creative to mentor who best aligns with your set of skills and their professional goals.
If you become a Creative Advisor, you will:
- Be able to request a $400.00 honorarium for professionals affected by the COVID-19 crisis
- Promote your participation and the Challenge with Greater Together on social media and through special arrangements with media partners
- Receive automatic membership in Greater Together and be asked to demonstrate public backing of the Greater Equity 2030 Challenge
- Join a cohort of peer mentors and local experts, including Additional benefits to be developed through strategic partners